Sports Vision Training
About Sports Vision Training
Athletes all across the country are turning to Sports Vision Training to gain a competitive edge over the competition. With Sports Vision Training, an athlete can develop into an exceptional player by improving the essential visual skills needed to make split-second decisions in their sport. Those with excellent vision facilities often show greater abilities and confidence within their sport.
In sports, nearly 80% of perceptual input is visual. Just because an athlete has 20/20 eyesight does not mean the athlete is performing to the highest of their ability. Although they may be able to see clearly, this does not mean they can determine where an object is in space, how fast the object is traveling or if the object is changing direction. However, Sports Vision Training helps separate a high performing athlete from the rest by increasing several visual skills like visual processing, depth perception, and reaction speed, just to name a few.
Sports Vision Training benefits the athlete by improving the following aspects of vision and motor abilities:
- Dynamic visual acuity helps improve the athlete’s ability to see things clearly while in motion or helps the athlete track moving objects.
- Eye-hand coordination determines how well the athlete coordinates control of their eye movement with their hand movement. Improving this skill increases the athlete’s ability to guide reaching, grasping, passing, and hitting within their sport.
- Eye focusing (also known as accommodation) refers to the strength, flexibility, and accuracy of the eye focusing system. Accommodative skills allow the athlete to keep objects in focus as well as quickly change focus during the game.
- Peripheral vision refers to our side vision. Improving peripheral vision helps the athlete see objects outside of their focal point. Improving peripheral vision gives the athlete a wider view of the field.
- Visual tracking is the ability to move our eyes from spot to spot while maintaining focus on the object we are looking. Improving visual tracking advances the athlete’s reaction time, speed, and fluidity within their sport.
- Visual reaction time refers to the amount of time it takes for environmental stimuli to travel from our vision system into our motor system to produce a physical reaction. Improving visual reaction time helps the athlete hustle up their response time, by training the brain to work more efficiently.
Training – Making a Superior Athlete
Before training, we administer our Sports Vision Training Evaluation which entails a complex and comprehensive battery of tests, assessing the vital areas of visual function needed to increase performance. After evaluating all the important areas of visual readiness, we design a Sports Vision Training Program tailored to each athlete’s needs in order to improve their visual performance within their sport.
At Wow Vision Therapy, we are a world-class sports vision training practice. Our doctors and board certified vision therapists provide innovative sports vision training that incorporates coordinated movement, balance, auditory processing and cognitive skills. We address each athlete with a personalized approach. Each session is one-on-one (therapist-to-athlete), conducted under doctor supervision. Our providers utilize the most advanced technology including in-office and home support virtual reality. This model gives our athletes the visual abilities they need to succeed in and off the field. Whether you are a weekend warrior or serious athlete, we can give you a competitive advantage by improving your dynamic visual acuity, hand-eye coordination, depth perception, visual tracking and reaction time.
Our advanced training includes:
- In-Office and Home-Support Virtual Reality
- Visual Processing Development
- Oculomotor Vision Therapy
- Eye-Hand Coordination Development
- Accommodation “Eye Focusing” Therapy
- Visual-motor integration development
- Visual-vestibular integration development
After training, our athletes learn how to control their vision with greater agility and efficiency as we establish visual confidence in:
- Dynamic visual acuity
- Eye-hand coordination
- Eye focusing
- Peripheral vision
- Visual tracking
- Visual reaction time
Get In Touch
To learn more, please fill out the form below and one of our Sports Vision Coordinators will be in touch to answer your questions or help schedule an evaluation for you.
Competing in Nationals After Vision Therapy - Wow Vision Therapy
Sports Vision Training - Interviews with Athletes | Hollywood Vision Center Optometry, Inc.