Developmental Vision Evaluation
When a child or adult exhibits signs of reading and/learning difficulties, the first step should begin with a Developmental Vision Evaluation. To start, our doctors begin with an in-depth case history, followed by a comprehensive sensorimotor and visual perceptual assessment. This assessment measures eye coordination and visual processing related to reading fluency, letter reversals, math, handwriting, attention/ concentration, and overall learning abilities. After testing, our doctors will determine if any visual diagnoses are impacting educational performance, prescribe appropriate lenses when necessary and provide a written report, including classroom accommodations, and plan for therapeutic solutions to visual problems for future educational success.
Developmental Vision EVALUATION INCLUDES
- Binocular Vergence (Eye Teaming) Testing – A measurement of convergence, ranges of fusion and coordination of the two eyes working together.
- Oculomotor (Eye Tracking) Testing – A measurement of pursuits and saccades (micro eye movement in reading).
- Accommodation (Eye Focusing) Testing – A measurement of eye focusing relating to the clarity of near vision and near visual attention and looking near to far.
Visual Perceptual Testing
- Visual Discrimination – The ability to see likes from differences.
- Visual Memory – The ability to visually remember the characteristics of a shape/object after a brief presentation.
- Visual-Spatial Relationships – The ability to see the difference among forms based on orientation.
- Visual Sequential Memory – The ability to remember for immediate recall a series of forms in their specific order of presentation.
- Visual Figure-Ground – The ability to perceive a form visually, and to find this form hidden in a clutter of background.
- Visual Directionality – The ability to identify language symbols based on their directional orientation.
Visual Integration Testing
- Visual-Motor Integration – The ability to analyze visual information and reproduce with eyes and hands working together as paired learning tools for fine motor skills and handwriting.
- Visually Directed Gross Motor Function – The ability to effectively integrate the two halves of the body for skillful coordination and mobility.
- Visual-Vestibular Integration – The ability to integrate the visual system and the vestibular system for proper orientation and balance.
Baseline Reading Testing
Standardized testing for word recognition and fluency.
We also provide a thorough eye health and vision evaluation to determine the health of the eyes, visual acuity (eyesight) and refractive condition for appropriate corrective lenses when needed.
DEVELOPMENTAL VISION SERVICES
This evaluation will determine the presence of:
- Amblyopia (Lazy Eye)
- Convergence Insufficiency (CI) & Double Vision
- See-Sick Syndrome (Motion Sickness)
- Strabismus (Cross or Turned Eye)
- Vision-Related Reading/Learning Problem
Dr. Bartolini did Carter’s evaluation, and she was amazing! She made him feel so comfortable, and she explained everything to me. Any questions I had she was able to answer and provide me with research as to where the information is coming from.
We were very pleased with the thorough testing she received at her initial visits to Wow and the time Dr. Fortenbacher and his staff spent with us explaining the results. Many of our concerns were addressed by the test results.
At our initial appointment, I was so pleased with how amazing the staff was. We walked into what felt like a “home” and not a therapy office. Each of the tests was explained to us before they started. Not only would they tell us how the test was performed but also why they do the test.
The first time we went in, the staff was super nice and spoke to Lucas as a person versus a kid. The doctor explained each of the tests and what it would be like to attend vision therapy. Lucas found instant joy in the methods because they were less like work and more geared towards fun and things he could accomplish.
GET IN TOUCH
To learn more, please fill out the form below and one of our Patient Care Coordinators will be in touch to answer your questions or help schedule an evaluation for you.